Press Release for the APEC, October 6th, 2013
DESIGN FOR THE ENVIRONMENT (DFE)
Anneke van Waesberghe, native Dutch Goodwill Ambassador founded East Meets West the nonprofit organization in 1983, co-developed the guidelines for Design for the Environment, known as DFE which were adapted and by EPA, AT&T and IBM in the nineties. She participated in the International Global Forum for Parliamentary and Spiritual Leaders in Kyoto and at Sundance; supported their research and actively contributed to the UNDP Jute program in India for the development of a wood substitute in the eighties.
As an extension to proof that the environment makes business sense, her company Esprite Nomade in Bali, designs and produces luxury decorated tents which offer flexibility to go deep into nature and bring you back to your natural environment in comfort and style. Lifestyle accessories and apparel, suitcases, trunks, travel kits, folding furniture are products that give you the feeling you are stepping back in time when the natural environment and all its grandeur were taken for granted.
DESIGN FOR THE ENVIRONMENT FACT SHEET FOR TENT CONSTRUCTION
• A 1200 sq. ft. or 112 m2. steel framed tent will use recycled steel of 7 scrap cars, compared to 50 trees (or 1 acre of forest) for the same wood frame home and provides a superior alternative to traditional building materials.
• Recognized as an effective tool in assessing the environment impacts of the built environment.
A SUSTAINABLE FUTURE IN THE MAKING
• One of the key attributes of steel is its ability to be recycled without the loss or degradation of its inherent material properties. The building standard accounts for embodied energy and the recyclability of materials in their definition.
• Galvanized steel material is the only structural building material which Terrachoice has endorsed
• Escape Nomade is committed to protecting the environment and investing in a sustainable future by maintaining a strong focus on innovation. When it comes to creating an environmentally friendly product, steel is an outstanding choice and provides a superior alternative to traditional building materials.
• Escape Nomade promotes sustainable design and construction and has made an important start in establishing standards in material choices to building a greener future.
• Superior strength-to-weight ratio. Our structures can be engineered to withstand extreme loads (such as 100 mph) winds, zone IV seismic forces under the International Building Code. In high winds conditions, and the overall weight of the building has a direct effect on the building’s performance in such conditions.
Insect damage resistant
• Steel is also impervious to termites. According to the U.S. Forest Service, the cost of controlling termites and repairing their damage is estimated to be US$2 billion per year in the United States along, insect infestation causes more than US$2.5 billion in damages alone in the United States each year. Light-steel is not a food source for insects such as termites, structures built with this technology provide much more resistance against termite damage than structures built with traditional materials, such as wood.
• Light-steel is non-combustible and will not contribute to the spread of a fire. As a result, we can deliver structures that are more fire resistant than those built with wood. This provides not only a safety benefit to the end-users but also an economic benefit since certain insurance companies have recognized the reduced fire risk and provided such end-users with insurance rate reductions.
Allergen-free, mold-free and toxin free
• Light-steel is recognized as an allergen-free, mold-free and toxin-free material. Because of this, the Asthma Society of Canada has endorsed cold form steel as a product that improves a building’s indoor air quality, which may benefit allergy and asthma sufferers.
The Environmental Fund: “Living Without Walls”
• We are looking for a like-minded person who can help us bring these off the grid technologies to Indonesia to demonstrate you can live deep in nature and not be dependent on existing infra-structures. Nature offers everything and energy can be generated from water wind and sun. In order to test these products we need to bring them to Indonesia. Escape Nomade is making the best selection, and it is their intention to display and use these products in their Tented Living Space in Nature, and become an elegant example of living of off the grid in style with the understanding that Simplicity is the New Luxury.